Architects Ink

GA House

GA House

GA House

Type | House Addition

Completed | 2017

Area | 300 sqm

 

The original house was built in 1959, the previous owners being the client’s aunt and uncle. The philosophy for the recent renovation was to establish a good relationship with the existing structure, celebrating the sixties architecture and the wider family’s sentimental association with the home.

A new addition to the front allowed bedrooms to be relocated and the central living areas were re-planned. The kitchen is now the heart of the home, servicing the lounge, pool, patio and external wood oven. Retractable doors with flowing sheer curtains stage the threshold between inside and outside.

Inspired by modernist principles, structural elements were exposed and existing materials used as a cue to integrate new finishes in an honest manner. The remodelled home now suits the client's immediate needs while maintaining the spirit of what has now become a family heirloom.